Thursday, September 12, 2013

What's the Point

Most of my solutions to "What's the Point?" were hands, since that's what I naturally think of.  I don't really understand what you mean by solution, though.  It's an abstract question based around drawing, and having a solution for it just confuses me.  This solution is what I chose.  It consists of birds migrating and hands pointing them to where they are going.  The contrast was showed in the feathers, and the hands in the shading.  On the background there is also contrast due to the sudden dark and light colors.  I chose pencil, not pen.  Pencil is much easier to use because you can actually erase it when you make mistakes, as I often do.  Pen was out of the question.  I didn't want to crosshatch or shade in pen, either.  Shading with pencil is simpler and to me, better.  The shade scale is somewhat easier to make in it.  I used tracing, of sorts.  I was looking at my hand when I transferred it from sight to paper.  Contrast is another technique I used, as well as lining.  Outlining.  Whatever that's called.  I didn't take many risks on this, besides actually drawing the feathers on the bird completely.  The body especially looks bad to me, and drawing the feathers on a bird is a foreign thought as I never see a bird with outlined feathers on it's body.  Nor do I do that outline and shading stuff on the wings.  There isn't really some deep meaning to this.  It's literally just birds and hands.  The birds are migrating and the hands are pointing to where they are heading.  The hands are also a pit stop for the birds.  There was supposed to be a meaning?  I didn't really know that.  This just complicates it more.
  I conveyed the migrating thing a little with the birds going in the same direction, and the hands pointing that way.  It isn't really that recognizable, though.  Don't think anyone would know what I meant for it to be if they just looked at it.  Maybe some kind of messed up drawing with hands for trees and birds sitting on the hand-trees and/or flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment