Monday, March 24, 2014

All the Things You Can See Through







Artists Reflect
Every time I stopped and looked at this drawing, I saw mistakes.  There are still mistakes.  While working on the fish himself, the scales and the fins were hard to draw.  The pebbles proved to be a challenge as well.  I thought about doing clear pebbles, but that would've been horrible to draw and would've taken forever.  In the end, Keith's actual pebbles were drawn.
Artists Solve Problems
At one point, all the scales on Keith had been drawn.  They weren't drawn well, so I had to erase more than half of them and start over.  That cycle repeated a few times.  I didn't expect the scales to turn out so well, so that was definitely a surprise. 
Artists Take Risks
I'm not good with drawing fish.  Never really tried to draw them before, so this was hard.  Drawing a fish was certainly a risk - the whole piece is focused on him, after all.  If Keith wasn't drawn correctly, the drawing would be ruined.  While drawing this I tried to go slow and color thoroughly.  My lines always end up sketchy.  That's just the way it is.  I did my best to color it in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment