Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Vessel


My idea for a vessel was a snake mug.  You know, with the snake coiled around it, squeezing.  Or something along those lines.  I wanted the snake to be coiled closer with itself, but that didn't work out.  It's still pretty heavy anyways.  The underbelly of the snake was carved out- something I didn't want to do and made it more likely to explode due to my bad craftsmanship.  There were probably a ton of air bubbles, but there were even more holes poked into it.  I really didn't want it to explode.  My medium was red clay, and I wanted to paint the underside with white clay so that it would appear to have a white belly.  That didn't happen and it wouldn't have mattered since it was glazed over with dark blue glaze, blue glaze, and red glaze for the eyes.  My vessel is supposed to hold water, or any liquid deemed nonlethal.  Preferrably liquid that won't harm, in any case.  You want to hear my process?  Well..  First off, I took a great lump of clay.  Flattened that flatter than a pancake.  Cut out a circle, cut a rectangle out.  Rolled up the rectangle into a cylinder and stuck the circle onto the bottom, sticking them together like you would if you dropped a banana onto the floor from 20ft in the air.  The tail was supposed to be the handle, though it doesn't work too well.  Then guess what I got.  Clay.  Rolled it out into a giant noodle or worm.  Then I got more clay.  Rolled that out, too.  Stuck them together.  They still weren't that long.  In the middle of that, somewhere, I crafted the head of the snake onto the end(front) piece.  Ms. Sudkamp thought, rightfully so, that it would be dumb to just keep doing it like that so I had to chop up the snake into itty bitty pieces.  Snake sushi.  Then I carved out the belly -guts- and it was ready to eat.  That snake sure was delicious.  Anyways,  I scored and slipped so much trying to put that snake onto the mug.  More than half of it didn't even get put on.  Wow, that was a waste of time.  Making the parts that didn't go on, that is.  Then I used a sponge or something and tried to smooth it out.  "Tried" being the key phrase there.  After, it got tossed into the kiln and burnt to a crisp.  Then  I glazed it.  Another trip to the clay oven.  That's pretty much it.  I took it home, but I haven't taken a drink from it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment